`China eclipsing US as superpower but not in popularity`
Washington: More number of people across globe believes China will surpass the United States as the world`s pre-eminent superpower, a new poll has found.
The survey conducted by the Pew Centre revealed that about 47 percent of those surveyed in 39 countries said China will surpass or already has surpassed the US.
In only six countries majority of respondents said that China would never surpass the US, the Washington Times reports.
In the United States, opinion was equally divided, with 47 percent saying China would eclipse or already has eclipsed the US, and 47 percent said that would never happen.
The poll found that the growing conviction across globe that China will become the greatest superpower has not improved people`s opinion of the Asian giant.
The poll found that Washington continued to enjoy a more positive image in most countries than Beijing, and especially among China`s neighbours.
Among the nations surveyed, a median of 63 percent expressed a favourable opinion of the United States, as compared with 50 percent for China.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan