China greets S Korean President-elect Park
Beijing: China on Thursday congratulated South Korean President elect Park Geun-hye for her victory in the polls and used the message to call for peaceful resolution of disputes between the two Koreas that have caused periodic tensions on the Korean peninsula.
Chinese President Hu Jintao sent a congratulatory message to Park and said China is ready to continue boosting bilateral strategic political mutual trust, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Hua Chunying told a media briefing here today.
"We are ready to work with Republic of Korea (South Korea) to continue boosting bilateral strategic political mutual trust, deepening exchanges and cooperation across the board for new progress in China-ROK relations," she said.
On the differences between South and North Korea, which is regarded as close ally of China, Hua said "we hope the north-South of the Korean Peninsula can resolve their problems through peaceful means and realise lasting peace on Korean Peninsula".
Peace and stability of the region is beneficial to all parties in the region and China wished all parties concerned could conveniently work together to ensure peace, development and stability and push forward the integration of the east Asian economy, she said.
The incoming president Park Geun-Hye, elected as South Korea`s first female leader, today promised to stand tough on national security despite seeking engagement with North Korea.
In her first policy address since her historic win yesterday, Park stressed the "grave" security threat posed by the North as underscored by last week`s rocket launch.
She also pledged to work for regional stability in Northeast Asia where South Korea, China and Japan are engaged in a series of bitter territorial disputes.
"The launch of North Korea`s long-range missile symbolically showed how grave the security situation facing us is," Park said.
"I will keep the promise I made to you to open a new era on the Korean peninsula, based on strong security and trust-based diplomacy," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information