China welcomes Year of the Snake
London: Over one billion people across Asia and beyond, have welcomed in the Chinese New Year, this year represented by the snake. In China, the traditional heart of what is also known as Chinese New Year, one fifth of the world``s population marked the close of the Year of the Dragon and the dawn of a new year with all the traditional fanfare, reports Sky News. The lunar calendar follows a 12-year cycle with 12 animals representing each year.
In Beijing, fireworks meant to ward off evil spirits, have been echoing in the skies for hours. Temple of the Earth Park in the city was transformed into a sea of red lanterns. The New Year gala is a long-standing institution in China.
Food and family are the two dominant themes for Chinese New Year.
There is significantly less affection for the snake than there was for last year`s rather more auspicious dragon. Fearful that the Year of the Snake might bring with it all that the slithering reptile represents, there has been a rush of weddings and attempts at carefully planned births to ensure they fell within the last year and not the coming one. In an attempt to overcome people`s suspicions, the toy snakes produced for the new year all seem to sport unusually happy or smiley faces. The less superstitious insist that the snake does have its value.
Some refer to the snake as the little dragon. It is said that children born in the year of the snake will be rational, organised and intelligent. As the Chinese middle class grows with more money to spend, many are opting to travel abroad for the break rather than to spend it with families. But for the traditionalists who have stayed at home and travelled to see families, the festivities will draw to a close at the end of the week with the traditional Lantern Festival.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case