Chinese KFC supplier accused of using toxic additives
Beijing: A Chinese supplier to popular US fast food chain KFC has been accused of lacing chicken feed with huge amounts of toxic additives to make chicken grow faster, media reports have said.
The reports emerged last week alleging that the Suhai Group adds toxic industrial chemicals to chicken feed to make the chicken grow faster --45 days for a chicken to grow big enough for slaughter.
Reports said that the chicken feed Suhai prepared was so toxic that it could even kill flies.
The Suhai Group, based in north China`s Shanxi Province, said in a statement that its chicken meat "does not have problems" and samples are being sent to the provincial quarantine agency for testing.
Suhai countered that its production lines have passed the government`s annual quality checks, and 45 days is a normal growth cycle for a chicken, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
China`s food industry has suffered a series of scandals in recent years, from melamine-laced dairy products to recycled "gutter oil".
The latest reports, though not yet verified, have sparked public fear.
According to Suhai`s website, the company raises 120 million chickens annually.
It also says it is a supplier to major fast food chains like KFC, airlines and colleges across the country and exports to Saudi Arabia, Japan, the Republic of Korea and South Africa.
McDonald`s in China said earlier that Suhai is not among its suppliers, while Kentucky Fried Chicken`s China stores said Suhai`s products make up one per cent of the chicken the fast food chain uses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price