Chinese KFC supplier accused of using toxic additives
Beijing: A Chinese supplier to popular US fast food chain KFC has been accused of lacing chicken feed with huge amounts of toxic additives to make chicken grow faster, media reports have said.
The reports emerged last week alleging that the Suhai Group adds toxic industrial chemicals to chicken feed to make the chicken grow faster --45 days for a chicken to grow big enough for slaughter.
Reports said that the chicken feed Suhai prepared was so toxic that it could even kill flies.
The Suhai Group, based in north China`s Shanxi Province, said in a statement that its chicken meat "does not have problems" and samples are being sent to the provincial quarantine agency for testing.
Suhai countered that its production lines have passed the government`s annual quality checks, and 45 days is a normal growth cycle for a chicken, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
China`s food industry has suffered a series of scandals in recent years, from melamine-laced dairy products to recycled "gutter oil".
The latest reports, though not yet verified, have sparked public fear.
According to Suhai`s website, the company raises 120 million chickens annually.
It also says it is a supplier to major fast food chains like KFC, airlines and colleges across the country and exports to Saudi Arabia, Japan, the Republic of Korea and South Africa.
McDonald`s in China said earlier that Suhai is not among its suppliers, while Kentucky Fried Chicken`s China stores said Suhai`s products make up one per cent of the chicken the fast food chain uses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation