Chinese navy seaplane crashes off port of Qingdao
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says a navy seaplane has crashed into waters near the eastern port city of Qingdao.
A notice posted on the ministry`s website said the plane went down in Jiaozhou Bay on Thursday morning while conducting a training mission. It said a search and rescue mission was launched by the navy, but gave no word on casualties.
Reports of crashes and other military mishaps had been relatively rare in the past but the traditionally secretive People`s Liberation Army has been making greater efforts at transparency as it seeks to transition into a modern military.
The North Sea Fleet operates four Shuihong 5 seaplanes dating from the 1980s and used primarily for low-altitude maritime patrol and surveillance missions. Each carries five crew members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why