Chinese navy seaplane crashes off port of Qingdao
Beijing: China`s Defence Ministry says a navy seaplane has crashed into waters near the eastern port city of Qingdao.
A notice posted on the ministry`s website said the plane went down in Jiaozhou Bay on Thursday morning while conducting a training mission. It said a search and rescue mission was launched by the navy, but gave no word on casualties.
Reports of crashes and other military mishaps had been relatively rare in the past but the traditionally secretive People`s Liberation Army has been making greater efforts at transparency as it seeks to transition into a modern military.
The North Sea Fleet operates four Shuihong 5 seaplanes dating from the 1980s and used primarily for low-altitude maritime patrol and surveillance missions. Each carries five crew members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- 'We're ready to execute our plans' - Chilling details emerge as NIA busts 'ISIS' terror module
- Animals owe their social sense to their maternal side!
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C