Cuban blogger meets White House officials
Washington: Internationally recognized Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez currently on a trip to the United States, met officials at the White House and US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
"The United States looks forward to the day when all Cubans will have the opportunity to express themselves in public without fear and we will continue to support policies that encourage the free flow of information to, from, and within Cuba," the National Security Council spokesperson, Caitlin Hayden, said in a statement yesterday after the meeting.
After many years of being prohibited from travel outside of Cuba, Sanchez, a respected advocate for the freedom of information and winner of the State Department`s International Women of Courage Award, is visiting the United States.
"Today we welcomed her to the White House to meet with White House staff, including Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs Ricardo Zuniga, to discuss her efforts to promote increased respect for freedom of expression in Cuba," Hayden said.
Sanchez also met a group of US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say