Cuban blogger meets White House officials
Washington: Internationally recognized Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez currently on a trip to the United States, met officials at the White House and US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
"The United States looks forward to the day when all Cubans will have the opportunity to express themselves in public without fear and we will continue to support policies that encourage the free flow of information to, from, and within Cuba," the National Security Council spokesperson, Caitlin Hayden, said in a statement yesterday after the meeting.
After many years of being prohibited from travel outside of Cuba, Sanchez, a respected advocate for the freedom of information and winner of the State Department`s International Women of Courage Award, is visiting the United States.
"Today we welcomed her to the White House to meet with White House staff, including Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs Ricardo Zuniga, to discuss her efforts to promote increased respect for freedom of expression in Cuba," Hayden said.
Sanchez also met a group of US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon