Cuban blogger meets White House officials
Washington: Internationally recognized Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez currently on a trip to the United States, met officials at the White House and US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
"The United States looks forward to the day when all Cubans will have the opportunity to express themselves in public without fear and we will continue to support policies that encourage the free flow of information to, from, and within Cuba," the National Security Council spokesperson, Caitlin Hayden, said in a statement yesterday after the meeting.
After many years of being prohibited from travel outside of Cuba, Sanchez, a respected advocate for the freedom of information and winner of the State Department`s International Women of Courage Award, is visiting the United States.
"Today we welcomed her to the White House to meet with White House staff, including Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Western Hemisphere Affairs Ricardo Zuniga, to discuss her efforts to promote increased respect for freedom of expression in Cuba," Hayden said.
Sanchez also met a group of US lawmakers at the Capitol Hill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan