Dozens of bodies found in Indonesia boat capsize
Banyuwangi (Indonesia): Indonesian rescuers have found the bloated and rotting bodies of dozens of asylum seekers from an overloaded boat that capsized en route to Australia, an official said on Wednesday.
At least 47 survivors were rescued after the vessel,
which had a capacity of 100 but was carrying about 250 mostly
Afghan and Iranian migrants, sank 40 nautical miles off
eastern Java early Saturday.
Hopes of finding more survivors dwindled after the
"Rescuers have brought 30 bodies to the shore while 10
others are on a navy ship heading to shore," East Java search
and rescue agency chief Sutrisno said.
"There are still many bodies scattered and floating on
the waters, we cannot tell you how many exactly," he added.
"We found them floating in the waters near Banyuwangi
district, 320 kilometres away from where the boat capsized on
Saturday," Sutrisno said.
A reporter on the scene said that at least one of
the bodies brought ashore was a young boy around seven or
eight years old.
Rescue workers said some bodies were so decomposed that
their limbs came off as they were pulled out of the water.
Thirty-four migrants were plucked from shark-infested
waters by fishermen on Saturday, and 13 others were found
drifting in a dinghy on Monday.
Survivors said they had paid between USD 2,500 to USD
5,000 to people-smugglers for the illegal sea journey.
While most survivors have been unable to speak coherently
due to exhaustion and shock, some of the 13 told harrowing
tales of clinging to wreckage for three days in violent seas,
before being rescued by a passing boat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla