Dyslexic pilot flies half-way around the world
Kolkata: Braving the inborn difficulty to read numbers and symbols, 21-year-old dyslexic Malayasian pilot Capt James Anthony Tan has managed to fly half-way around the world in a tiny, single Cessna 210 Eagle aircraft.
"I wanted to do something to inspire and motivate people and convey the message to youngsters from all over the world that nothing is impossible," Tan, a commercial pilot who has a flying record in North Africa and the US, said after arriving in Kolkata from Nagpur via Karachi on Saturday.
Narrating his flying experience, Tan told a press conference that he had moments of concern about sufficient fuel and weather "while I was flying from Russia to Alaska and when I saw frozen waves.
"It was a simply incredible scene as I was crossing an icy zone and I had to warm the engine with a heating device and hand gloves were not enough. Temperature was minus 30 degrees celsius," he said.
The Acting High Commissioner of Malayasia Raszlan Abdul Rashid was also present at the press conference.
To overcome his inborn difficulties, the Malayasian youth maintained a tracking system on his website which indicated the progress of his journey.
With a pilot licence from Australia and UK civil aviation, Tan claimed to be the youngest pilot to fly alone around the world in a single engine aircraft, besides achieving the feat in the shortest duration.
He said he has always tried to raise awareness about problems faced by children with special needs and motivate them to chase their own dreams.
Covering 6,400 nautical miles, Tan started his flight from Langkawi in Malayasia on March 26 and will return to Kuala Lumpur via Phuket on May 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo