Eight retired military officers arrested in Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s state-run news agency says authorities have arrested eight more retired officers over their alleged involvement in the ousting of an Islamic-led government in the late 1990s.
Anadolu Agency reports say the eight, including seven retired generals, were detained on Wednesday and Thursday pending a trial over a military campaign that forced former prime minister Necmettin Erbakan to resign.
No trial date has been set.
Anadolu, Friday, said that authorities were also questioning six other generals, including a former Air Force commander. They had not been arrested.
Several other officers have already been charged in Erbakan`s ouster, which has been dubbed Turkey`s "post-modern coup" because the military simply pressured the government to resign.
Turkey has curtailed the military`s powers and is making generals account for intervening in government affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi