Eight retired military officers arrested in Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s state-run news agency says authorities have arrested eight more retired officers over their alleged involvement in the ousting of an Islamic-led government in the late 1990s.
Anadolu Agency reports say the eight, including seven retired generals, were detained on Wednesday and Thursday pending a trial over a military campaign that forced former prime minister Necmettin Erbakan to resign.
No trial date has been set.
Anadolu, Friday, said that authorities were also questioning six other generals, including a former Air Force commander. They had not been arrested.
Several other officers have already been charged in Erbakan`s ouster, which has been dubbed Turkey`s "post-modern coup" because the military simply pressured the government to resign.
Turkey has curtailed the military`s powers and is making generals account for intervening in government affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter