Eight retired military officers arrested in Turkey
Ankara: Turkey`s state-run news agency says authorities have arrested eight more retired officers over their alleged involvement in the ousting of an Islamic-led government in the late 1990s.
Anadolu Agency reports say the eight, including seven retired generals, were detained on Wednesday and Thursday pending a trial over a military campaign that forced former prime minister Necmettin Erbakan to resign.
No trial date has been set.
Anadolu, Friday, said that authorities were also questioning six other generals, including a former Air Force commander. They had not been arrested.
Several other officers have already been charged in Erbakan`s ouster, which has been dubbed Turkey`s "post-modern coup" because the military simply pressured the government to resign.
Turkey has curtailed the military`s powers and is making generals account for intervening in government affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency