EU offers extra 2mn euros to fight West Africa Ebola crisis
Brussels: The European Union on Wednesday allocated an extra two million euros ($2.7mn) to fight the Ebola outbreak spiralling out of control in West Africa, bringing total EU funding to 3.9 million euros.
"The level of contamination on the ground is extremely worrying and we need to scale up our action before many more lives are lost," said the EU`s Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva.
The European Union has deployed experts on the ground to help victims and try to prevent contagion but Georgieva called for a "sustained effort from the international community to help West Africa deal with this menace".
To date the epidemic has caused 670 deaths and 1,200 cases in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, among the world`s poorest countries, with one case confirmed in Nigeria.
The World Health Organisation says this is the largest recorded outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical coverage.
The EU said the risk of the virus spreading to Europe was currently low, since most cases are in remote areas in the affected countries and those who are ill or in contact with the disease are encouraged to remain isolated.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler