EU offers extra 2mn euros to fight West Africa Ebola crisis
Brussels: The European Union on Wednesday allocated an extra two million euros ($2.7mn) to fight the Ebola outbreak spiralling out of control in West Africa, bringing total EU funding to 3.9 million euros.
"The level of contamination on the ground is extremely worrying and we need to scale up our action before many more lives are lost," said the EU`s Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva.
The European Union has deployed experts on the ground to help victims and try to prevent contagion but Georgieva called for a "sustained effort from the international community to help West Africa deal with this menace".
To date the epidemic has caused 670 deaths and 1,200 cases in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, among the world`s poorest countries, with one case confirmed in Nigeria.
The World Health Organisation says this is the largest recorded outbreak in terms of cases, deaths and geographical coverage.
The EU said the risk of the virus spreading to Europe was currently low, since most cases are in remote areas in the affected countries and those who are ill or in contact with the disease are encouraged to remain isolated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik