Ex-Malaysian Indian lawyer, three others get death
Singapore: A former Malaysian Indian lawyer and three others were sentenced to death on Thursday in the high profile murders of a Malaysian businesswoman and three others in 2010.
The high court in Shah Alam, the capital of the Malaysian state of Selangor, sentenced former lawyer N Pathmanabhan, 43, and farm hands T Thilayalagan, 21, R Matan, 22, and R Kathavarayan, 33, for the murders of cosmetics millionaire Sosilawati Lawiya, 47, her driver Kamaruddin Shamsuddin, 44, bank officer Noorhisham Mohamad, 38, and lawyer Ahmad Kamal Abdul Karim, 32, in Tanjung Sepat town on August 30, 2010.
"The prosecution has proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt," the Malaysian Star quoted sentencing judge Akhtar Tahir as saying.
"I find all four accused guilty as charged."
The businesswoman and her three aides had gone to Tanjung Sepat in Banting district for a land deal but were later reported missing.
Pathmanabhan is said to be the mastermind behind the murders and money was the motive.
Though the bodies were not recovered, all four were reportedly beaten to death, their bodies doused with petrol and burnt and the ashes thrown into a river.
Lawiya`s was a rags-to-riches story. Daughter of a labourer, she used her savings of 13 years to start a cosmetics business that was worth millions of Malaysian ringgits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble