Ex-Malaysian Indian lawyer, three others get death
Singapore: A former Malaysian Indian lawyer and three others were sentenced to death on Thursday in the high profile murders of a Malaysian businesswoman and three others in 2010.
The high court in Shah Alam, the capital of the Malaysian state of Selangor, sentenced former lawyer N Pathmanabhan, 43, and farm hands T Thilayalagan, 21, R Matan, 22, and R Kathavarayan, 33, for the murders of cosmetics millionaire Sosilawati Lawiya, 47, her driver Kamaruddin Shamsuddin, 44, bank officer Noorhisham Mohamad, 38, and lawyer Ahmad Kamal Abdul Karim, 32, in Tanjung Sepat town on August 30, 2010.
"The prosecution has proven its case beyond a reasonable doubt," the Malaysian Star quoted sentencing judge Akhtar Tahir as saying.
"I find all four accused guilty as charged."
The businesswoman and her three aides had gone to Tanjung Sepat in Banting district for a land deal but were later reported missing.
Pathmanabhan is said to be the mastermind behind the murders and money was the motive.
Though the bodies were not recovered, all four were reportedly beaten to death, their bodies doused with petrol and burnt and the ashes thrown into a river.
Lawiya`s was a rags-to-riches story. Daughter of a labourer, she used her savings of 13 years to start a cosmetics business that was worth millions of Malaysian ringgits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Russia to pay bonuses to athletes barred from Rio Olympics 2016
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video