‘Fired Yemen military chief refuses to quit’
Sanaa: One of two Yemeni military chiefs
sacked by President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi has refused to give
up his post, a military source said on Saturday.
Air force chief General Mohammed Saleh al-Ahmar, half
brother of Hadi`s predecessor Ali Abdullah Saleh, refused to
quit unless several senior defence ministry officials,
including the minister himself, also leave, said the source.
In a message to his troops, Ahmar said that the
presidential decree would not be "implemented" until Defence
Minister Mohammed Nasser Ahmed, General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar
and chief of staff Ali al-Ashwal were dismissed.
He also demanded that several members of the powerful
Hashed tribe be forced into exile. The tribe backed defectors
such as General Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar during last year`s
The official Saba news agency reported yesterday that Hadi
issued a decree sacking the air force general as well as the
head of the presidential guard, General Tareq Mohammed
Abdullah Saleh, the former president`s nephew.
Hadi took over from Saleh in February after the veteran
leader handed over power as part of a Gulf-brokered settlement
to end a bloody government crackdown on an Arab
In a televised speech on February 19, Hadi stressed the
need to reunify the army as he pledged "radical reforms" and
to fight al Qaeda as he outlined a two-year transition plan.
But critics of Saleh say he has been interfering in the
smooth transition of power, and the reorganisation of the Army
is seen as being a key part of that transition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!