Fireworks mishap in California leaves 28 injured
Washington: A malfunction at a fireworks display in California to celebrate American independence day sent exploding shells showering into a crowd of several thousand, injuring 28 people, police said.
Those injured in the mishap in Simi Valley near Los Angeles ranged in age from eight to 78, and four were left in serious condition, Simi Valley police spokesman Blair Summey told.
The July 4 fireworks show at a park before a crowd of 8,000 to 10,000 people had just started when there was what Summey called an ignition malfunction.
"Some of the shells went into the crowd," he said.
TV footage showed a bright, colorful explosion sending sparks showering down on people watching the show.
Simi Valley is about 40 kilometers west of Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial
- IT'S DISTURBING: Watch little Syrian girl singing before a bomb explodes
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling