Fireworks mishap in California leaves 28 injured
Washington: A malfunction at a fireworks display in California to celebrate American independence day sent exploding shells showering into a crowd of several thousand, injuring 28 people, police said.
Those injured in the mishap in Simi Valley near Los Angeles ranged in age from eight to 78, and four were left in serious condition, Simi Valley police spokesman Blair Summey told.
The July 4 fireworks show at a park before a crowd of 8,000 to 10,000 people had just started when there was what Summey called an ignition malfunction.
"Some of the shells went into the crowd," he said.
TV footage showed a bright, colorful explosion sending sparks showering down on people watching the show.
Simi Valley is about 40 kilometers west of Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic
- Mann ki Baat: PM Modi calls for country to move towards 'cashless society'
- 4th round of global NCAP crash tests on Indian cars soon
- Mann Ki Baat: PM pitches for saving 'every drop' of water during Monsoon
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi praises Sonowal for performing his duty despite polls