Fireworks mishap in California leaves 28 injured
Washington: A malfunction at a fireworks display in California to celebrate American independence day sent exploding shells showering into a crowd of several thousand, injuring 28 people, police said.
Those injured in the mishap in Simi Valley near Los Angeles ranged in age from eight to 78, and four were left in serious condition, Simi Valley police spokesman Blair Summey told.
The July 4 fireworks show at a park before a crowd of 8,000 to 10,000 people had just started when there was what Summey called an ignition malfunction.
"Some of the shells went into the crowd," he said.
TV footage showed a bright, colorful explosion sending sparks showering down on people watching the show.
Simi Valley is about 40 kilometers west of Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray