Fireworks mishap in California leaves 28 injured
Washington: A malfunction at a fireworks display in California to celebrate American independence day sent exploding shells showering into a crowd of several thousand, injuring 28 people, police said.
Those injured in the mishap in Simi Valley near Los Angeles ranged in age from eight to 78, and four were left in serious condition, Simi Valley police spokesman Blair Summey told.
The July 4 fireworks show at a park before a crowd of 8,000 to 10,000 people had just started when there was what Summey called an ignition malfunction.
"Some of the shells went into the crowd," he said.
TV footage showed a bright, colorful explosion sending sparks showering down on people watching the show.
Simi Valley is about 40 kilometers west of Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply