France, Germany, Poland warn of more violence in Ukraine
Paris: Foreign ministers of France, Germany, and Poland -- currently leading an European mediation in Ukraine -- voiced concern Friday over the worsening security situation in the country, urging for unity to complete a political transition.
"We are deeply concerned with the tensions in Crimea," Xinhua quoted top French diplomat Laurent Fabius as saying. “Everything must be done to decrease the tension in the eastern region and promote peaceful discussions among relevant parties.”
In a joint statement with German and Polish counterparts Frank-Walter Steinmeier and Radoslaw Sikorski, Fabius reaffirmed "support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country", urging "all parties in Ukraine to refrain from actions that could challenge this".
On Friday, armed men took control of two airports in the Crimea region, a day before Ukrainian security forces were put on alert in response to unidentified gunmen`s seizure of local government and parliament buildings.
The foreign ministers said the Ukrainian crisis would be solved "if major political forces unite and pursue a common agenda".
Fabius, Steinmeier and Sikorski also called on the newly-appointed government to take swift moves to improve the standards of living of the citizens of Ukraine "through implementation of the transition and modernisation reforms, including fight with corruption, and respect for democratic values".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader