Francois Hollande may make Carla Bruni history
London: Francois Hollande, who unveiled his cabinet led by a bevy of young and stylish Mademoiselles on Saturday night, is threatening to make the French former first lady Carla Bruni a distant memory.
Bruni has only been out of the Elysee Presidential Palace for a matter of days, the Daily Mail reported.
The newly sworn in French President might have been left feeling a little bit overshadowed as many of his new female political colleagues towered over him in high heels.
The appointment of nubile young ministers to the cabinet has traditionally been left to the Italians.
Not since Berlusconi’s showgirls has a more glamorous group of woman been seen in politics.
Green party leader Cecile Duflot, now Housing Minister, Aurelie Filipetti, Culture Minister, and Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, as Women’s Rights Minister, walked a catwalk of marble steps as they arrived for the first meeting of the new government.
Film director Yamina Benguigui, who was named Junior Minister for Francophony and French Living Abroad, arrived in six-inch heels and dark glasses.
Moroccan-born Najat Vallaud-Belkacem, in a navy blue trouser suit with black accessories, is seen as one of the up-and-coming stars of the party.
Minister for Equality of Territories and Housing, Cecile Duflott, casually dressed in a trench coat with flared jeans, is the only Green leader to have served two consecutive terms and had lobbied to be named as Environment Minister.
The new cabinet has 17 female ministers, just as many as there are men, in line with a campaign promise by Hollande. It is the first time that there are as many women as men in a French prime minister’s cabinet.
However, only one heavy ministerial portfolio – the Justice Ministry – went to a woman, Christiane Taubira, a 60-year-old MP from French Guiana.
More than 80 percent of French MPs are men, meaning there is only a small pool of experienced women from which Hollande can choose.
The new line-up, which could change again after Parliamentary Elections come to a close on June 17, met for the first time yesterday as Hollande prepared to depart for summits of the G8 group of wealthy countries, and another for NATO, in the United States.
The new President`s wife, Valerie Trierweiler, has also brought new glamour to the French political summit. She arrived to see her husband sworn in wearing a black chiffon dress, high heels and white coat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof