Germany to launch probe into US spying on Merkel
Berlin: Germany`s Federal Prosecutor General Harald Range has decided to launch a criminal investigation into alleged hacking of Chancellor Angela Merkel`s phone by the US National Security Agency (NSA), a German daily reported on Tuesday.
The mass spying on German citizens by the NSA, however, will at least provisionally not be placed under formal investigations, Xinhua reported citing German newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung.
It is said that Range`s decision to look into the monitoring of Merkel`s cell phone is a reaction to angers triggered by reports about a possible drop of NSA snooping investigations.
Range did not find enough evidence to warrant criminal proceedings into the cases, reported Sueddeutsche Zeitung last week, citing sources from the prosecutor`s office.
In Range`s opinion, the newspaper said, the proceedings would be purely "symbolic" since it is impossible to gather evidence about the activities of the NSA or its British counterpart GCHQ on German soil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!