Germany to probe ties between NSA, its secret services
Berlin: Facing pressure from the public and political rivals, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has ordered a probe into ties between the country`s secret services and US intelligence agencies.
The probe was ordered after reports emerged that German intelligence services used a spying programme of America`s National Security Agency (NSA) to access communication data.
The government is taking very seriously reports that the country`s domestic intelligence service, the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution and its foreign counterpart the BND have been using the NSA`s surveillance programme to snoop into and collect Internet and telephone data of its citizens, a government spokesman told reporters.
He was reacting to a report by weekly news magazine Der Spiegel of a "pact" between the German intelligence services and NSA, claiming that cooperation between the two is deeper than what is in public till now.
Ronald Pofalla, who coordinates the secret services in his capacity as the chancellery affairs minister, has ordered a thorough investigation into the allegations and will answer questions from lawmakers at a meeting of the parliamentary control committee on intelligence services, the spokesman said.
Documents leaked by whistle-blower Edward Snowden have revealed that NSA equipped the German agencies with "Xkeyscore", a comprehensive programme capable of tracking down suspect communications by analysing the search terms and detecting "anomalies" in Internet communications.
Around 500 million German Internet and telephone connections were monitored by NSA every month. In December 2012 alone, around 180 million data was collected.
The Federal Office for the Protection of Constitution and the BND have confirmed that they closely cooperated with the NSA and used its controversial surveillance programme to monitor and collect the data of internet and telephone users.
Cooperation between the BND and the NSA was intensified in 2007 when the SPD-Green coalition government was in power in Berlin, report said.
At that time, the NSA provided the information to abort a terrorist attack planned by a home-grown radical Islamist group.
Since then there are regular exchanges of analysis between the Germans and the Americans and a closer cooperation in pursing German and non-German extremists, the report said quoting NSA documents.
However, the heads of the two organisations denied that personal data of German citizens in large quantities was handed over to the Americans.
Hans Georg Maassen, the president of BfV German domestic intelligence agency, has claimed that his organisation fully adhered to the legal limits of its cooperation with the NSA and only tested the NSA programme and was not used on a regular basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'