Guatemala temple preparing for end of the world
London: At an eighth century temple deep inside the Guatemalan jungle, people who are convinced that the world is about to end are gathering for the end of times.
Dotted with towering limestone structures, Tikal is known as the New York City of Maya ruins, the Telegraph reports.
In recent days guards have been throwing out naked women dancing and chanting around fire pits, and local hotels are fully booked, as doomsday-mongers descend for their final night on Earth.
The area is most familiar to cinema-goers as the moon Yavin 4, the rebel base in ‘Star Wars’, and has also attracted film fans seeking to witness the apocalypse where ‘the force is strong,’ the report said.
“Something big is going to happen. The Maya were an incredibly precise people,” Ricardo Alejos, the president of Guatemala``s Star Wars fan club, said.
Dec 21, 2012 sees the end of the 13th and final baktun in the 5,125-year Maya Long Calendar and, according to some, the world will end at 11.12am GMT, the time of the summer Solstice.
NASA has dismissed all concerns that the world is going to end. Dr David Morrison, an astrobiologist at the space agency, said scientists would have seen Nibiru, or a comet, by now and they could not be hiding behind the sun.
"I have had kids saying they are considering suicide, mothers emailing me saying the6y are considering killing their children before the end of times," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid