Gunmen kill 7 police officers in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected Islamic militants on Monday shot dead seven police officers and wounded several others in a fresh wave of violence in Nigeria`s northern city of Maiduguri.
Witnesses believe the assailants were members of Islamic Fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram, which uses the city as its headquarters.
The gunmen besieged the house of a former senator and shot dead one policeman.
Another attack carried out elsewhere within Maiduguri killed four officers, While two others were killed in an attack in Mafa village, some distance from Maiduguri, a police official said.
Samuel Tizhe, police spokesperson, said 20 gunmen attacked a divisional police headquarters and engaged officers in a gun duel for an hour during which two of the officers lost their lives.
All the assailants escaped after the attack, Tizhe added.
Boko Haram, has been waging a bloody war against Nigeria`s government to enact Shariah law in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice