`Hugo Chavez’s recovery complex and hard`
Caracas: Venezuela`s Vice President said on Wednesday that President Hugo Chavez will face a "complex and hard" process after undergoing his fourth cancer-related operation in Cuba.
Vice President Nicolas Maduro made the announcement a day after Chavez`s surgery, appearing on television with a sad expression, alongside other top allies of the President.
"It was a complex, difficult, delicate operation," Maduro said, adding that indicates "the post-operative process is also going to be a complex and hard process”.
The Vice President, whom Chavez named over the weekend as his chosen political heir, was flanked by National Assembly President Diosdado Cabello and Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez, who had accompanied the President in Havana during the surgery.
Maduro said Cabello and Ramirez had returned to Caracas about 3 am (local time) and that they had talked about the situation until daybreak. Maduro`s voice was hoarse and cracked at times.
Without giving details, he called for Venezuelans to calmly face potentially difficult days ahead.
"We`re more united than ever," Maduro said, while Cabello and Ramirez stood solemnly. "We`re united in loyalty to Chavez."
Maduro had said on Tuesday night that the operation concluded successfully after more than six hours and that Chavez next was to begin "special treatments," which he didn`t specify.
Chavez`s children and grandchildren accompanied him in Havana during the surgery, the Vice President said.
The morning after Chavez`s operation, Venezuelan state television showed a Mass where the President`s supporters prayed for him.
Chavez announced over the weekend that he needed to have surgery again after tests showed "some malignant cells" had reappeared in the same area of his pelvic region where tumours were previously removed.
Chavez said beforehand that the surgery would present risks.
He said on Saturday for the first time that if illness cuts short his presidency, Maduro should take his place and be elected President to continue on with his socialist movement.
The 58-year-old President won re-election in October and is due to be sworn in for a new six-year term on January 10. If Chavez were to die, the Constitution says that new elections should be called and held within 30 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra