Hundreds of migrants rescued in sea off Italy
Rome: Italian navy and coast guard vessels rescued more than 700 migrants in waters between Sicily and North Africa overnight as an immigration crisis that has cost hundreds of lives this month showed no signs of abating.
Patrol boats conducted five operations and those rescued included dozens of women and children, authorities said on Friday.
Several hundred were brought to an already overcrowded immigrant reception centre on the southern island of Lampedusa.
Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta has pressed European Union leaders meeting in Brussels to increase aid to Mediterranean countries including Italy, Greece and Malta which have handled the brunt of the crisis.
Italy has increased patrols in the seas between Libya, Tunisia and Italy since more than 360 mainly Eritrean migrants drowned in early October when their boat capsized off Lampedusa. A second boat sank a week later, leaving an estimated 200 people missing.
The island`s reception centre has struggled to deal with a deluge of migrants fleeing civil war and unrest in Syria, Egypt and other Arab and African countries, which has swelled numbers making the dangerous crossing of the Mediterranean sea, often on rickety and ill-equipped boats.
Over 32,000 migrants have made the journey to southern Italy by boat so far this year, according to the United Nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery