If no progress with FARC, then peace talks over: Colombian President
Bogota: Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has said that if peace talks with the FARC make no progress, "we`re getting up from the negotiating table", adding that the guerrillas will not get the truce they are asking for.
"In the measure that we make progress, we`ll be satisfied. If we don`t make progress, we`re getting up from the negotiating table. I hope we keep going forward but meanwhile the rules of the game are very clear. There`s not going to be a truce here of any kind," Santos told reporters after a meeting with leaders and inhabitants of Santa Barbara municipality in Antioquia province.
On Friday, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, through its leader "Timochenko" or "Timoleon Jimenez", criticised the Colombian government for giving land to peasants that had supposedly been taken over by rebels, which, he said, made it look very doubtful that Santos is genuinely seeking peace.
In the presentation of land to the peasants last Wednesday in Caqueta province, Santos said that "11 years later, instead of being robbed by the FARC, we are taking back from the FARC their ill-gotten lands and we`re giving farmer workers the land they should have and that belongs to them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation