In China, 63 sentenced for banned `pyramid selling
Beijing: Sixty-three Chinese have been sentenced to jail terms ranging from one year to 42 months for running an illegal pyramid selling scheme in the country`s South.
People`s Court of Chenggong District in Kunming City pronounced on Sunday that the 63 persons, 51 of whom are already in custody and 12 are on bail, were guilty of pyramid selling in Kunming of Yunnan province .
Forty of the fraudsters have been given suspended sentences, said the court.
The pyramid selling ring shifted its operations to Kunming from Nanning, capital city of neighbouring Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, in November, 2011, with over 500 people and CNY 20 million (USD 3.2 million) involved, before it was shut down by the police.
Using chain selling as a cover, ring built a network based on interpersonal relationships where gang members were offered commission for persuading their friends and relatives to participate in the pyramid selling.
A pyramid scheme is a non-sustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment or sale of products or services to the public.
Pyramid selling has been banned in China since 1998 but still operates underground in some less developed regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy