India votes in favour of UNSC resolution on Syria
New York: Voting in favour of the UNSC
resolution that called on Syrian President Bashar Assad to
step down, India on Saturday said it support the effort of the Arab
League for a peaceful resolution of the 11-month-old Syrian
"Our support for the Resolution is in accordance with our
support for the efforts by the Arab League for a peaceful
resolution of the crisis through a Syrian-led inclusive
political process," said Hardeep Singh Puri, the Indian
Ambassador to the UN.
Russia and China vetoed the Arab League-backed resolution
aimed at putting pressure on Syria to end its crackdown on
anti-government protests that has killed more than 200 people
in one of the bloodiest episodes of the uprising against
This is the second time that Russia and China have
carried out their double veto after the first one on October
India along with the US and 11 others backed the move.
France, Britain and Pakistan also voted in favor of the
Explaining the reasons for India`s position on Syria,
Puri told the powerful 15-member body that New Delhi believes
that the leadership of Syria is a matter for the Syrian people
"It would be necessary for all opposition forces in Syria
to peacefully engage in constructive dialogue with the
authorities. We hope that this will create a new environment
for peace and facilitate a political process," he underlined.
He said this political dialogue should build upon the
"political reforms already announced by the Syrian leadership
with necessary changes so that they find acceptance among all
sections of Syrian society".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head