Indonesia jails Islamic terror leader for 10 years
Jakarta: An Indonesian court on Thursday jailed an Islamist militant with links to one of Asia`s most notorious terror leaders for 10 years for recruiting people to militant-training camps.
Badri Hartono led an extremist group called Al-Qaeda Indonesia and was found guilty of sending recruits to a militant camp on a jungle-clad island known as a terror hotbed.
Hartono also provided shelter in 2009 to terror leader Noordin Mohammed Top, head of a violent splinter faction of the radical Jemaah Islamiyah network that carried out attacks on Western targets, prosecutors said.
Hartono "recruited and sent people to Poso," judge Musa Arif Aini told the Jakarta court, referring to an area on Sulawesi island where militant training camps are based.
"He has been proven legally and convincingly guilty of being involved in testing of explosive materials and militant training."
His group had also planned attacks on security forces, according to prosecutors.
Analysts said it was not clear whether Hartono`s group was linked to the real Al-Qaeda, but many groups have copied the name of the terror outfit founded by Osama bin Laden.
Noordin, the self-proclaimed leader of "Al-Qaeda in the Malay Archipelago", was accused of masterminding attacks on Jakarta`s Marriott hotel that killed 12 people in 2003, as well as the 2005 bombings on Bali that killed 20.
After a long and bloody hunt, he was finally killed in a raid outside Solo city in Central Java province in September 2009.
In previous hearings, Hartono denied being the leader of Al-Qaeda Indonesia but admitted that he knew Noordin. He said he accepted Thursday`s verdict and would not appeal.
Indonesia, which has the world`s biggest Muslim population, has waged a crackdown on militant groups over the past decade since a string of terror attacks on Western targets.
The crackdown has been credited with weakening key networks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read