Indonesian judge jokes that victims may enjoy rape
Jakarta: An Indonesian judge interviewing for a job at the Supreme Court has suggested that women may enjoy rape, sparking public anger.
Muhammad Daming Sunusi made the remark yesterday to a parliamentary panel grilling him ahead of his possible appointment as one of 23 justices at the court.
Asked whether the death penalty was a suitable punishment for rape, Sanusi said that since both the attacker and the victim "might have enjoyed it we have to think twice about imposing the death penalty."
Members of the commission reportedly laughed at the remark.
Sunusi later apologised, saying the remark was intended to be a joke to "ease the tension" of the interview.
At least two political parties said they would now reject Sunusi`s nomination.
Women`s rights groups are also protesting the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani