Indonesian judge jokes that victims may enjoy rape
Jakarta: An Indonesian judge interviewing for a job at the Supreme Court has suggested that women may enjoy rape, sparking public anger.
Muhammad Daming Sunusi made the remark yesterday to a parliamentary panel grilling him ahead of his possible appointment as one of 23 justices at the court.
Asked whether the death penalty was a suitable punishment for rape, Sanusi said that since both the attacker and the victim "might have enjoyed it we have to think twice about imposing the death penalty."
Members of the commission reportedly laughed at the remark.
Sunusi later apologised, saying the remark was intended to be a joke to "ease the tension" of the interview.
At least two political parties said they would now reject Sunusi`s nomination.
Women`s rights groups are also protesting the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’