Indonesian judge jokes that victims may enjoy rape
Jakarta: An Indonesian judge interviewing for a job at the Supreme Court has suggested that women may enjoy rape, sparking public anger.
Muhammad Daming Sunusi made the remark yesterday to a parliamentary panel grilling him ahead of his possible appointment as one of 23 justices at the court.
Asked whether the death penalty was a suitable punishment for rape, Sanusi said that since both the attacker and the victim "might have enjoyed it we have to think twice about imposing the death penalty."
Members of the commission reportedly laughed at the remark.
Sunusi later apologised, saying the remark was intended to be a joke to "ease the tension" of the interview.
At least two political parties said they would now reject Sunusi`s nomination.
Women`s rights groups are also protesting the remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday