Iran warns to block oil through Strait of Hormuz
Tehran: Iran has said that it could prevent even ``a single drop of oil`` to pass through the Strait of Hormuz if its security is threatened.
The country`s naval chief, Admiral Ali Fadavi, issued the warning, as international concern over Tehran`s nuclear activity continues to progress without hindrance.
News24 quoted Fadavi, a naval commander in Iran`s elite Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), as saying that Tehran would increase its military presence in international waters if threats against it continued.
"If they [the US] do not obey international laws and the IRGC`s warnings, it will have very bad consequences for them," Admiral Fadavi said.
"The IRGC`s naval forces have had the ability since the [Iran-Iraq] war to completely control the Strait of Hormuz and not allow even a single drop of oil to pass through," he said.
"IRGC special naval forces are present on all of the Islamic Republic of Iran`s ships in the Indian Ocean and to its east and west, to prevent any movement,” he added.
"This IRGC naval force presence in international waters will increase," Admiral Fadavi warned.
Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz shipping channel, through which 40 percent of the world`s sea-borne oil exports passes, in retaliation to sanctions placed on its crude exports by Western powers.
The sanctions were imposed over Iran’s nuclear programme, which the West believes is aimed at creating an atomic weapon. Iran, however, has said that the programme is for peaceful energy purposes.
The United States has beefed up its presence in the Gulf, adding a navy ship to help mine-clearing operations if Iran were to act on threats to block the strait. Military analysts have cast doubt on Iran’s willingness to block the waterway, given the massive US-led retaliation it would have to face.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next