Iranian official killed by gunmen on way from Syria to Lebanon
Beirut: The Iranian embassy in Beirut said Thursday that an Iranian official was killed overnight on his way back from Damascus to the Lebanese capital.
The embassy said in a statement that "engineer Houssam Khosh Newes, an Iranian development official working in Lebanon, was killed by "armed terrorist groups while he was returning to Beirut from the Syrian capital."
Media outlets reported that Khosh Newes was in the Syrian province of Aleppo evaluating development projects to reconstruct the northern city that is witnessing deadly clashes between the government forces and rebels.
Khosh Newes was appointed to help rebuild southern Lebanon by Iranian President Mahmound Ahmadinejad after the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon`s Hezbollah militia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- When brave CRPF men put themselves between terrorists' bullets and colleagues in Pampore attack
- Egypt deports popular Lebanese political talk show host
- EgyptAir black box flight recorder has been repaired: Commission
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'