‘Israel deploys improved Arrow-2 interceptor missiles`
Jerusalem: As prospects of confrontation with Iran loomed large, Israel on Monday said it had deployed improved version of Arrow-2 missiles capable of intercepting medium range missiles of Syria and Iran.
The new system called `Block 4` was being installed in missile batteries, The Jerusalem Post reported.
The paper said the new would improve accuracy in intercepting medium-range missiles such as Iran`s "Shahab" and "Sejil," as well as Scud Ds held by Syria.
The Arrow-2 is Israel`s upper tier missile defence system, complemented by the Iron Dome for short-range rockets and the David`s Sling, which is under development and to be used against medium-range rockets and cruise missiles.
In the coming months, the Defence Ministry plans to hold its first interception test of the Arrow 3, a new higher-level system that will provide Israel with a number of chances to intercept incoming enemy missiles.
The US has given up to 80 per cent of the funding for the first-generation Arrow system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez