Israel `plans attack on Iran within months`
London: Israel is planning to attack Iran "within months", the Daily Mail reported on Saturday.
Fears of a global nuclear war breaking out were stoked after Israel said Iran has been developing missiles with an extraordinary range of 6,200 miles, enough to reach the US.
An international political storm is now in full force as the US desperately tries to talk Israel out of an attack on Iran`s nuclear facilities amidst fears a strike could now come within just two months, the Mail said.
Israel`s Deputy Prime Minister Moshe Ya`alon said the missiles were being tested at a site near Tehran that was destroyed three months ago and they were "aimed at America, not at us".
Ya`alon said Iran is creating "a nightmare for the free world".
Iran, which is accused of preparing to build a nuclear bomb, says it will retaliate over Western-backed oil sanctions and any attack threat.
The US doesn`t believe Iran is producing such a long-range missile, but Defence Secretary Leon Panetta is still reportedly fearful of a growing chance Israel would attack Iran as early as April.
"Threatening Iran and attacking Iran will harm America," Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned in a defiant speech Friday.
"Sanctions will not have any impact on "our determination to continue our nuclear course" and it will impose any threats "at the right time", he added.
"I have no fear of saying that we will back and help any nation or group that wants to confront and fight against the Zionist regime (Israel)."
America is leaning heavily on Israel, even though it has largely concluded that outside argument will have little effect on Israeli decision-making.
The stand-off poses a major political challenge for US President Barack Obama, who has been regularly mocked by most of the GOP presidential candidates for failing to take a tougher stance against Iran.
Israel fears that Iran is fast approaching a point at which a limited military strike no longer would be enough to.
Panetta believes Israel could strike before Iran enters a "zone of immunity" to start building a nuclear bomb, the Mail reported quoting the Washington Post.
The Israelis fear the Iranians will soon have "enough enriched uranium in deep underground facilities to make a weapon", the Post said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family