‘Jordanian soldier killed in clashes at Syria border’
Amman: Amid rising concerns over Syrian civil war spilling over into neighbouring states, one Jordanian soldier was killed on Monday during clashes at border with Syria, reports said.
Jordan says that one of its soldiers was killed in clashes with armed militants, who were trying to cross into Syria to join rebels fighting Bashar Assad`s regime.
The soldier was killed early Monday, said Jordanian Information Minister Sameeh Maaytah.
There is no clarity on whether the militants trying to enter Syria were Jordanians or foreign fighters.
Jordan`s banned Salafi movement — which promotes an ultraconservative brand of Islam — has sent several fighters to Syria in past months and Jordanian border patrols have caught some of them recently.
The concern over Syrian conflict’s ill effects on neighbouring countries shot up after Lebanon on Friday witnessed the assassination of an anti-Syrian top intelligence official, who was killed in a Beirut car bombing.
The conflict in Syria, which is in its 19th month now, has caused at leased 33,000 deaths, activists say.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal