‘Jordanian soldier killed in clashes at Syria border’
Amman: Amid rising concerns over Syrian civil war spilling over into neighbouring states, one Jordanian soldier was killed on Monday during clashes at border with Syria, reports said.
Jordan says that one of its soldiers was killed in clashes with armed militants, who were trying to cross into Syria to join rebels fighting Bashar Assad`s regime.
The soldier was killed early Monday, said Jordanian Information Minister Sameeh Maaytah.
There is no clarity on whether the militants trying to enter Syria were Jordanians or foreign fighters.
Jordan`s banned Salafi movement — which promotes an ultraconservative brand of Islam — has sent several fighters to Syria in past months and Jordanian border patrols have caught some of them recently.
The concern over Syrian conflict’s ill effects on neighbouring countries shot up after Lebanon on Friday witnessed the assassination of an anti-Syrian top intelligence official, who was killed in a Beirut car bombing.
The conflict in Syria, which is in its 19th month now, has caused at leased 33,000 deaths, activists say.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists