‘Jordanian soldier killed in clashes at Syria border’
Amman: Amid rising concerns over Syrian civil war spilling over into neighbouring states, one Jordanian soldier was killed on Monday during clashes at border with Syria, reports said.
Jordan says that one of its soldiers was killed in clashes with armed militants, who were trying to cross into Syria to join rebels fighting Bashar Assad`s regime.
The soldier was killed early Monday, said Jordanian Information Minister Sameeh Maaytah.
There is no clarity on whether the militants trying to enter Syria were Jordanians or foreign fighters.
Jordan`s banned Salafi movement — which promotes an ultraconservative brand of Islam — has sent several fighters to Syria in past months and Jordanian border patrols have caught some of them recently.
The concern over Syrian conflict’s ill effects on neighbouring countries shot up after Lebanon on Friday witnessed the assassination of an anti-Syrian top intelligence official, who was killed in a Beirut car bombing.
The conflict in Syria, which is in its 19th month now, has caused at leased 33,000 deaths, activists say.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?