London attack: British PM holds crisis meeting
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron on Thursday chaired crisis talks following a terror attack here that left a soldier dead.
The government and security officials are racing to respond to the killing of a British soldier, an act that shocked the country.
Cameron held a meeting of the emergency response committee Cobra on Thursday morning after coming back to London from France, reported Sky News.
Home Secretary Theresa May, Mayor of London Boris Johnson and Metropolitan Police chief Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe were among those present at the crisis meet.
Two men carrying weapons brutally assaulted and killed the soldier in Woolwich in southeast London on Wednesday afternoon. The two attackers were later shot and injured by police. Prime Minister David Cameron said there were strong indications that it was a "terrorist incident".
Security has been heightened at the Royal Artillery Barracks which is close to the scene of the murder, and at other barracks across London.
"It is completely wrong to blame this killing on the religion of Islam but it is also equally wrong to try to draw any link between this murder and British foreign policy or the actions of British forces who are risking their lives abroad for the sake of freedom," the Mayor was quoted as saying.
"The fault lies wholly and exclusively in the warped and deluded mindset of the people who did it. What we need now, for the sake of the victim and his family, is for those killers to be brought to justice."
(With agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read