London Mayor Boris named most influential man in Britain
London: The flamboyant Mayor of London, Boris Johnson has been named as the most influential man in Britain, edging out the who`s who of politics, royalty and celebrity world including Prime Minister David Cameron.
48-year-old Boris, who won plaudits for his handling of the widely- praised Olympic Games, triumphed over luminaries in politics, show-business and top executives in a list published by GQ magazine.
The list is heavily influenced by the Summer Olympics, with cyclists Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy reaching 15th place, and runner Mo Farah hitting 34th following his two gold medals.
Prince Charles beat his sons into 12th place, while Prince Harry made it to 18th. Prince Harry hit the headlines for both his military service in Afghanistan and the pictures that emerged of him partying naked in a Las Vegas hotel room.
In what appears to reflect the television programme Yes, Minister, where a civil servant guides the decisions of the minister he is meant to be serving, Sir Jeremy Heywood, cabinet secretary, was voted more influential than Prime Minster David Cameron.
The list will be published in the February issue of British GQ magazine that will hit stands tomorrow.
The magazine compiled the list with a `star chamber` of figures at the top of their fields to help draw up `the definitive countdown of the men who really run Britain`.
The panel featured PR mastermind Matthew Freud, Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti, Arcadia boss Sir Philip Green, literary agent Ed Victor, Daily Mail editor-in-chief Paul Dacre, president of the Royal Society Sir Paul Nurse, entrepreneurial tycoon Richard Branson and co-director of the Serpentine Gallery Hans Ulrich Obrist.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani