London Mayor Boris named most influential man in Britain
London: The flamboyant Mayor of London, Boris Johnson has been named as the most influential man in Britain, edging out the who`s who of politics, royalty and celebrity world including Prime Minister David Cameron.
48-year-old Boris, who won plaudits for his handling of the widely- praised Olympic Games, triumphed over luminaries in politics, show-business and top executives in a list published by GQ magazine.
The list is heavily influenced by the Summer Olympics, with cyclists Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy reaching 15th place, and runner Mo Farah hitting 34th following his two gold medals.
Prince Charles beat his sons into 12th place, while Prince Harry made it to 18th. Prince Harry hit the headlines for both his military service in Afghanistan and the pictures that emerged of him partying naked in a Las Vegas hotel room.
In what appears to reflect the television programme Yes, Minister, where a civil servant guides the decisions of the minister he is meant to be serving, Sir Jeremy Heywood, cabinet secretary, was voted more influential than Prime Minster David Cameron.
The list will be published in the February issue of British GQ magazine that will hit stands tomorrow.
The magazine compiled the list with a `star chamber` of figures at the top of their fields to help draw up `the definitive countdown of the men who really run Britain`.
The panel featured PR mastermind Matthew Freud, Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti, Arcadia boss Sir Philip Green, literary agent Ed Victor, Daily Mail editor-in-chief Paul Dacre, president of the Royal Society Sir Paul Nurse, entrepreneurial tycoon Richard Branson and co-director of the Serpentine Gallery Hans Ulrich Obrist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds
- Rahul Gandhi and Buddhadeb Bhattacharya are doing ILU ILU in WB: Amit Shah
- UP Police computer operator exam 2016: Admit card available at uppbpb.gov.in - Check dates
- Won't be giving any more statements to media: Kangana Ranaut