London Mayor Boris named most influential man in Britain
London: The flamboyant Mayor of London, Boris Johnson has been named as the most influential man in Britain, edging out the who`s who of politics, royalty and celebrity world including Prime Minister David Cameron.
48-year-old Boris, who won plaudits for his handling of the widely- praised Olympic Games, triumphed over luminaries in politics, show-business and top executives in a list published by GQ magazine.
The list is heavily influenced by the Summer Olympics, with cyclists Bradley Wiggins and Chris Hoy reaching 15th place, and runner Mo Farah hitting 34th following his two gold medals.
Prince Charles beat his sons into 12th place, while Prince Harry made it to 18th. Prince Harry hit the headlines for both his military service in Afghanistan and the pictures that emerged of him partying naked in a Las Vegas hotel room.
In what appears to reflect the television programme Yes, Minister, where a civil servant guides the decisions of the minister he is meant to be serving, Sir Jeremy Heywood, cabinet secretary, was voted more influential than Prime Minster David Cameron.
The list will be published in the February issue of British GQ magazine that will hit stands tomorrow.
The magazine compiled the list with a `star chamber` of figures at the top of their fields to help draw up `the definitive countdown of the men who really run Britain`.
The panel featured PR mastermind Matthew Freud, Liberty director Shami Chakrabarti, Arcadia boss Sir Philip Green, literary agent Ed Victor, Daily Mail editor-in-chief Paul Dacre, president of the Royal Society Sir Paul Nurse, entrepreneurial tycoon Richard Branson and co-director of the Serpentine Gallery Hans Ulrich Obrist.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!