Malaysian Indian Congress leader denies quitting party post
Singapore: KP Samy, a member of the Central Working Committee (CWC) of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), has denied reports that he would quit the post as he was not offered a senatorship in the upper House of the Malaysian Parliament.
"I had merely offered to step down to give way to younger leaders but the president urged me to stay on," the Malaysian Star quoted him as saying in a press conference Monday.
Samy and two others were expelled from the party in 2010 after they had launched a campaign to pressure then party president S Samy Vellu to step down.
He was brought back to the party in April last year after G Palanivel took over as president.
Formed in 1946, the MIC is one of the oldest political parties in Malaysia.
It is one of the three major constituents of the country`s ruling Barisan Nasional coalition, the other two being the United Malays National Organisation and the Malaysian Chinese Association.
The party`s CWC is scheduled to hold a a general meeting May 23 to discuss the formation of the election committee for the long overdue presidential election.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know