Maldives` Defence and Acting Transport Minister in China
Male: Maldives Defence Minister and Acting Transport Minister Mohamed Nazim has left for China on an official five-day visit to enhance bilateral "defence and military ties" and to secure Chinese assistance for developing the Maldivian military.
Nazim, is due to hold official talks with the Chinese Minister of National Defence General Liang Guanglie and meet members of the Chinese Central Military Commission, media reports here said.
The Defence Minister`s official visit to China follows last week`s termination by the government of a 25-year concession agreement with Indian infrastructure major GMR to modernise and manage the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport (INIA).
Nazim, who left yesterday, was at the forefront of talks with GMR for the smooth taking over of the airport by Maldives government after it "unilaterally" terminated the USD 511 million contract, signed by the previous regime of Mohamed Nasheed, on November 27.
Media reports had then said that China could be the force behind the move against GMR.
"Looking at the political situation and political framework in Maldives, I can`t rule out anything," GMR Airports chief financial officer (CFO) Sidharth Kapur had told journalists last week in a press conference in New Delhi when asked about China angle.
In November 2011, China became the first non-SAARC nation to open an embassy in the Maldives.
"Minister`s trip to China will further strengthen the defence and military relations between the two nations and that it will enhance Chinese assistance in various areas," the Haveeru daily quoted a statement released by Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF).
Environment Minister Dr Mariyam Shakeela has meanwhile separately appealed to China for financial and technical support, telling journalists from the Chinese government`s authorised web portal China.Org.Cn that the Maldives "needs funds for infrastructure building", the Minivan News reported.
"We are obviously in need of funds and technical assistance as we do not have the financial means, the technical know-how or the capacity to address these huge climate change issues," said Dr Shakeela, in an appeal for assistance with climate adaptation.
"Minivan News has learnt that senior Chinese military officials landed at the airport in the tense week leading up to the handover," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview