Mandela doing well at home, says S African presidency
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela was doing well at home after being discharged from hospital, the South African presidency said.
"I assume everything is going okay," said presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj.
Mandela has been staying in his Johannesburg home after being discharged from hospital on Wednesday following almost three weeks of treatment.
His doctors said it is "necessary and good" that Mandela stays in his Johannesburg home so as to be close to medical facilities for continued medical care until he fully recovers, Maharaj said earlier.
According to eNCA television, Mandela`s family said it was a great relief for them that the former South African president is finally back home and was recovering.
The support from well-wishers was overwhelming, the report said.
Meanwhile, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) said it was pleased with the progress Mandela was making.
On Dec 8, Mandela was flown to a hospital in Pretoria from his native village of Qunu in Eastern Cape Province, starting his longest stay in hospital since 2001 when he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.
During his hospital stay, he underwent a successful surgery to have the gallstones removed after doctors attended to his lung infection.
Mandela served as South African president from 1994 to 1999, the first ever to be elected in a fully representative democratic election in the country. Before being elected president, he served 27 years in prison, spending many of these years on Robben Island off Cape Town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das