Mandela doing well at home, says S African presidency
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela was doing well at home after being discharged from hospital, the South African presidency said.
"I assume everything is going okay," said presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj.
Mandela has been staying in his Johannesburg home after being discharged from hospital on Wednesday following almost three weeks of treatment.
His doctors said it is "necessary and good" that Mandela stays in his Johannesburg home so as to be close to medical facilities for continued medical care until he fully recovers, Maharaj said earlier.
According to eNCA television, Mandela`s family said it was a great relief for them that the former South African president is finally back home and was recovering.
The support from well-wishers was overwhelming, the report said.
Meanwhile, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) said it was pleased with the progress Mandela was making.
On Dec 8, Mandela was flown to a hospital in Pretoria from his native village of Qunu in Eastern Cape Province, starting his longest stay in hospital since 2001 when he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.
During his hospital stay, he underwent a successful surgery to have the gallstones removed after doctors attended to his lung infection.
Mandela served as South African president from 1994 to 1999, the first ever to be elected in a fully representative democratic election in the country. Before being elected president, he served 27 years in prison, spending many of these years on Robben Island off Cape Town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender