Mandela doing well at home, says S African presidency
Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid hero Nelson Mandela was doing well at home after being discharged from hospital, the South African presidency said.
"I assume everything is going okay," said presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj.
Mandela has been staying in his Johannesburg home after being discharged from hospital on Wednesday following almost three weeks of treatment.
His doctors said it is "necessary and good" that Mandela stays in his Johannesburg home so as to be close to medical facilities for continued medical care until he fully recovers, Maharaj said earlier.
According to eNCA television, Mandela`s family said it was a great relief for them that the former South African president is finally back home and was recovering.
The support from well-wishers was overwhelming, the report said.
Meanwhile, the ruling African National Congress (ANC) said it was pleased with the progress Mandela was making.
On Dec 8, Mandela was flown to a hospital in Pretoria from his native village of Qunu in Eastern Cape Province, starting his longest stay in hospital since 2001 when he underwent seven weeks of radiotherapy after being diagnosed with prostate cancer.
During his hospital stay, he underwent a successful surgery to have the gallstones removed after doctors attended to his lung infection.
Mandela served as South African president from 1994 to 1999, the first ever to be elected in a fully representative democratic election in the country. Before being elected president, he served 27 years in prison, spending many of these years on Robben Island off Cape Town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400