Mexican troops kill 4 town workers in apparent mistake
Chilpancingo: Troops have shot dead four municipal workers returning from a shooting range in southwestern Mexico, apparently after mistaking them for criminals, a state official and residents said.
The incident took place yesterday in the town of Arcelia and the victims included the director and deputy director of municipal transport as well as two culture department workers, said a Guerrero state interior department official.
Residents said the four were driving back from a shooting club where they practised and hunted with low-caliber guns.
"There was confusion because one of the four subjects who died was wearing military-style clothes, so the soldiers fired," the official said on condition of anonymity.
The soldiers were taken to the Arcelia prosecutor`s office.
Some 200 people blocked the town`s main road to protest the shooting. It was the second time that residents block the highway this year to demand that soldiers leave the town.
The military has been deployed across Mexico since 2006 to combat drug cartels. More than 77,000 people have died in drug related violence since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US