Mexico: 13 dead in drug cartel battle
Victoria: Mexican soldiers have
discovered 13 bodies in an abandoned truck along with a
message that they were killed in a war between rival drug
cartels in the eastern state of Veracruz, officials said.
The bodies were found in Tamaulipas state, a few hundred
yards (meters) from its border with Veracruz, according to the
Tamaulipas attorney general`s office.
The area has been the scene of bloody battles between the
Gulf and Zetas cartels, and a pair of banners alluding to a
rivalry were found in the truck, the statement from the
attorney-general`s office said.
On Friday, the attorney general`s office in Veracruz said
it had found 10 bodies in a different area along the border
with Tamaulipas after receiving a tip.
On Thursday, three US citizens traveling to spend the
holidays with their relatives in Mexico were among those
killed in a spree of shooting attacks on buses. In the spree,
a group of gunmen attacked three buses in Veracruz, killing a
total of seven passengers.
The Americans killed were a mother and her two daughters
who were returning to visit relatives in the region.
The five gunmen who allegedly carried out the attacks were
later shot to death by soldiers.
Earlier, the gunmen also shot to death three people and
killed a fourth with grenade in the nearby town of El Higo,
The US Consulate General in Matamoros, a Mexican border
city north of where the attacks occurred, said urged Americans
to "exercise caution" when traveling in Veracruz, and "avoid
intercity road travel at night."
Local police in Veracruz have become so corrupt that on
Wednesday, the government decided to dissolve the entire
police force in the state`s largest city, also known as
Veracruz, and sent the Navy in to patrol.
Some 800 police officers and 300 administrative employees were
Officials said they can apply for jobs in a state police
force, but must meet stricter standards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- New Zealand to keep trialling day-night first-class cricket
- Delhi sex racket busted: Girls confined in almirahs; forced to sleep with clients in cubicles
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday