Moscow school shooting: Armed teenager neutralised, students freed
Zee Media Burea/Supriya Jha
Moscow: A high-school student armed with a rifle barged into a biology classroom on Monday and killed a police officer and a teacher besides taking 20 students hostage in a school in Moscow.
Al the students have been freed and the gunman has now been disarmed and taken to a police car outside school, the police said reportedly.
speaking on the state TV, Russian Interior Ministry spokesman Andrei Pilipchuk said, "The person who took 20 people and a teacher hostage is a student in the upper classes at the same school. He has been neutralised and all the students have been freed".
He added that the gunman is a student of the same school (School No. 263), but of a higher class.
According to a Russian news website, LifeNews, the gunman was an excellent student who staged the shooting to retaliate against a 37-year-old geography teacher Andrew Kirillov, with whom he had an altercation recently.
The disgruntled student entered the school, threatening the guard with a small-caliber rifle and a hunting rifle and said, "I need a geography teacher," the Russian news website reported.
The offender student then entered a biology classroom and held at least twenty teenage students and the teacher hostage for about half an hour.
As police reached at the scene, the student opened fire, killing the teacher and a police officer, while another cop was hurt in the process.
Unlike in US, school shootings are not a common incident for Russia. Gun ownership is legal in Russia but weapons need to be registered.
As the gunman was allowed to enter the school despite the guards, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin has called for full review of security systems in city schools.
The incident comes just days before Russia is hosting Winter Olympics at Sochi from Feb 7, re-igniting the fears over the security during the games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!