Mosques subject to increased Islamophobic attacks UK post 9/11
London: Mosques in the UK have been subject to increased anti-Islamic attacks since the historic 9/11 incident and the recent Drummer Lee Rigby’s murder.
According to the Independent, the number of anti-Islamic attacks has increased by tenfold in the days following the Woolwich attack with mosques being set alight and Muslims targeted at home in the past month.
A senior government advisor said that there is a ‘lack of political will’ to tackle the rise of Islamophobic attacks in Britain and attempts to ‘tackle this issue, even before Woolwich, struggled to lead to fruition.
In a sermon delivered to the Muslim community at 500 mosques warned them of the upcoming challenges after the fallout from the Woolwich case and reports about high-profile cases of sexual grooming of children by small groups of Muslim men.
Professor Nigel Copsey of Teesside University said that around 700 mosques in UK have been subject to anti-Islamic attacks and there has undoubtedly been a spike in anti-Muslim incidents since the Woolwich murder.
The report said that there is an increase of attacks to nearly nine per day in the immediate aftermath of the Woolwich killing. Professor Copsey said that the analysis of the figures by watchdog Tell Mama indicate the extent to which the far right is implicated in anti-Muslim crime.
The recent Islamophobic attacks include swastikas and the letters ‘EDL’, ‘KKK’ and ‘NF’ sprayed on the walls of a mosque in Redditch, pigs’ heads being left at Muslim families’ homes and other attacks against individuals.
There was also an attack on an Islamic centre in north London. A spokesman for the Department for Communities and Local Government said that here is no place for anti-Muslim hatred or any kind of hatred in Britain, the department is committed to tackling this unacceptable scourge, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video