‘Mysterious’ Syria-bound Libyan ship linked with US consulate attack?
Washington: A mysterious Libyan ship, reportedly carrying weapons and bound for Syrian rebels, may have some link to the terror attack on the US consulate in Benghazi, it has emerged.
The Libyan-flagged vessel Al Entisar, which means "The Victory”, was received in the Turkish port of Iskenderun, near the Syrian border, on September 06, just five days before the attack on the US consulate.
On the night of September 11, slain US envoy Chris Stevens met with the Turkish Consul General Ali Sait Akin.
Although what was discussed at the meeting is not public, a source told Fox News that Stevens was in Benghazi to negotiate a weapons transfer, an effort to get SA-7 missiles out of the hands of Libya-based extremists.
According to the report, a congressional source cautioned against drawing premature conclusions about the consulate attack and the movement of weapons from Libya to Syria via Turkey, noting they may in fact be two separate and distinct events.
But the source acknowledged the timing and the meeting between the Turkish diplomat and Stevens was "unusual”, the report said.
According to an earlier report by the Times of London, Al Entisar was carrying 400 tons of cargo.
Some of it was humanitarian, but also reportedly weapons, described by the report as the largest consignment of weapons headed for Syria`s rebels on the frontlines.
The cargo reportedly included surface-to-air anti-aircraft missiles, RPG`s and Russian-designed shoulder-launched missiles known as MANPADS, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers