NASA rover breaks out-of-this-world distance record
Washington: The US space agency`s Opportunity rover has now clocked more miles on Mars than any man-made vehicle to reach another celestial body, NASA has said.
Since arriving on the Red Planet in 2005, the solar-powered robot has journeyed across 40 kilometres of Martian terrain.
That surpasses the previous record, held by the Soviet Union`s Lunokhod 2 rover, which landed on the Moon in 1973.
"Opportunity has driven farther than any other wheeled vehicle on another world," said Mars Exploration Rover Project Manager John Callas of NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California yesterday.
"This is so remarkable considering Opportunity was intended to drive about one kilometre and was never designed for distance."
Opportunity and its twin rover, Spirit - now defunct - discovered wet environmental conditions on ancient Mars, some of which are mild enough to have been favorable for life.
Opportunity is now exploring the Endeavour Crater on Mars.
Its next-generation robotic counterpart, the Curiosity rover, launched in 2012 and is tooling around near the Gale Crater on Mars.
NASA said that the Soviet Union`s Lunokhod 2 rover landed on Earth`s moon on January 15, 1973, and drove about 39 kilometres in less than five months.
Those figures are based on calculations recently made using images from NASA`s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) cameras that reveal Lunokhod 2`s tracks, the US space agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says