New video shows Syrian rebels using US SEALs` sniper rifle
Washington: New YouTube video from the Syrian battlefield has shown rebels firing what appears to be the same high-powered sniper rifle that is used by US Navy SEALs.
The video showed Syrian rebels, who are aligned with al Qaeda, firing guns that look like the British- made AS-50 and shouted `Alahu akbar`.
Even if the rifle is a cheap knock-off of the AS-50, it has raised questions about who is supplying such devastating hardware.
According to Fox News, David Reaboi, of the Washington-based Center for Security Policy, said the video, showing jihadist rebels of the `Descendents of the Prophet Brigade` firing one of the world`s most effective sniper rifles, should be cause for alarm.
He added that the source of the weapons should be known, given the jihadist ideology of these groups, it`s only a matter of time until they`re turned on Americans or our allies and interests.
The AS-50 set a reported world record when a member of the British Household Cavalry in Afghanistan`s Helmand province killed two members of the Taliban with successive bullets over a recorded distance of more than 1.5 miles, though the record is disputed.
The Free Syrian Army has been receiving weapons from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey - all close allies of the US. But the US has repeatedly stated that it has sent no weapons to the opposition forces.
According to the report, the US State Department has acknowledged directly providing 385 million dollars support to the Syrian people, including "emergency medical care and medical supplies, food aid, and winterization supplies like blankets and heaters for those affected by the crisis."
The site also reports that "over 4,000 major pieces of equipment have been provided, mostly to Damascus, Aleppo, and other areas with significant opposition presence, including communications and computer equipment, as well as generators."
The sniper rifle, manufactured by Accuracy International - which sells arms to the Turkish and Saudi Arabian militaries - has a fearsome reputation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!