Nigeria: 17 killed in attack by radical Islamist sect
Abuja: Suspected members of a radical
Islamist sect carried out bomb attacks and shootings targeting
the police headquarters and a mosque in two Nigerian cities,
killing 17 people, police and media report said on Saturday.
The suspected Boko Haram assailants besieged the police
headquarters in north-eastern city of Gombe, killing 12 people,
including officers, police said.
Through coordinated gun and bomb assaults, the attackers
tried to break into a prison in a failed attempt to free the
It has accused the authorities of illegally holding many
of their members in prisons and have demanded their release.
In the second incident, at least five worshipers were
gunned down inside a mosque yesterday evening in the country`s
second largest city Kano, Daily Trust reported.
Boko Haram has been waging a bloody insurgency to install
an Islamic government and Sharia rule in Nigeria.
It has carried out a wave of bomb attacks and shootings
across the the country, including the January 20 multiple
terror attacks in Kano that killed 185 people, including an
Indian from Gujarat.
A suicide bomb attack by the group at the United Nations
headquarters in Abuja in July last year killed 26 person.
Last Saturday, suspected gunmen from the Boko Haram shot
dead a cleric and local politician in north-eastern city of
Nigeria, with a population of 150-million, has large
number of Muslim and Christian population. Muslims predominant
in the north of the country while Christians mostly live in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says