Nine Syrian judges defect: Activists
Amman: Syrian activists say nine state judges and prosecutors have defected to the opposition.
The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights says the latest defectors from the regime of President Bashar Assad come from the northern city of Adlib.
In video statement, posted online today, the nine judges identify themselves by name as one of them reads a joint statement and urges others to break ranks with Assad.
Many government officials and army officers have abandoned the regime to join the opposition since the uprising started in March 2011.
Ex-Prime Minister Riad Hijab is the most senior Syrian official to defect so far.
Syria`s opposition is dominated by members of the country`s Sunni minority. Assad`s regime is predominantly Alawite, an offshoot group of Shiite Islam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living