Nine Syrian judges defect: Activists
Amman: Syrian activists say nine state judges and prosecutors have defected to the opposition.
The Britain-based Observatory for Human Rights says the latest defectors from the regime of President Bashar Assad come from the northern city of Adlib.
In video statement, posted online today, the nine judges identify themselves by name as one of them reads a joint statement and urges others to break ranks with Assad.
Many government officials and army officers have abandoned the regime to join the opposition since the uprising started in March 2011.
Ex-Prime Minister Riad Hijab is the most senior Syrian official to defect so far.
Syria`s opposition is dominated by members of the country`s Sunni minority. Assad`s regime is predominantly Alawite, an offshoot group of Shiite Islam.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!