No foreign meddling, Syrian war over in two weeks: Assad
Moscow: The conflict in Syria can be over in two weeks if foreign fighters and weapons stop trickling in through the border with Turkey, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said.
According to the Al-Akhbar daily in Beirut, Assad made the statement at a meeting with "a group of visitors from the Arab states" in Damascus Monday.
The president informed the visitors about the present situation in Syria during the meeting, which lasted for three hours.
The daily gave no information about the visitors` identities or nationalities.
The paper quoted Assad as saying that the Syrian army has recently dealt a number of serious blows to armed groups financed from abroad and that "the most difficult stage of the crisis has been left behind".
"Militant groups mostly operate in regions bordering Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon and some suburbs of Damascus. The Syrian capital itself, including the road to the international airport, is safe," the president said.
Assad also thanked Russia for its support, saying that "by supporting Syria, Russia defends itself, not the (Syrian) regime".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'