North Korean nuclear test `matter of deep concern`: India
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern over the nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK), India on Tuesday called upon Pyongyang to refrain from such actions, which adversely impact on peace and stability in the region.
"Reports indicate that the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has conducted a nuclear test today. It is a matter of deep concern that the DPRK has acted in violation of international commitments in this regard," said Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
"We call upon DPRK to refrain from such actions, which adversely impact on peace and stability in the region," he added.
North Korea appeared to have carried out a nuclear test on Tuesday, with international monitoring agencies reporting a seismic event near the site of Pyongyang`s nuclear test site.
According to reports, the confirmation came three hours after seismic activity was detected at North Korea`s nuclear test site. The UN Security Council had warned of significant consequences if Pyongyang went ahead. It is to hold an emergency meeting in New York today.
This is the third nuclear test by North Korea. The first two, conducted in 2006 and 2009, shocked the entire world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’