North Korean nuclear test `matter of deep concern`: India
New Delhi: Expressing deep concern over the nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK), India on Tuesday called upon Pyongyang to refrain from such actions, which adversely impact on peace and stability in the region.
"Reports indicate that the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (DPRK) has conducted a nuclear test today. It is a matter of deep concern that the DPRK has acted in violation of international commitments in this regard," said Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) official spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin.
"We call upon DPRK to refrain from such actions, which adversely impact on peace and stability in the region," he added.
North Korea appeared to have carried out a nuclear test on Tuesday, with international monitoring agencies reporting a seismic event near the site of Pyongyang`s nuclear test site.
According to reports, the confirmation came three hours after seismic activity was detected at North Korea`s nuclear test site. The UN Security Council had warned of significant consequences if Pyongyang went ahead. It is to hold an emergency meeting in New York today.
This is the third nuclear test by North Korea. The first two, conducted in 2006 and 2009, shocked the entire world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SHOCKING: Milan metro suspended ahead of UEFA Champions League final match
- Monaco Grand Prix: Daniel Ricciardo secures maiden pole in Monte Carlo
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- IPL 9 Video: This is how Kolkata Knight Riders thank supportive fans!
- Delhi-NCR emerges leader in job creation among 8 cities