Paraguay diplomats ordered to leave Venezuela
Caracas: Venezuela`s government has decided to expel Paraguay`s remaining diplomats from the country, the top envoy at the Paraguayan Embassy said.
Charge d`affaires Victor Casartelli said that he and three other Paraguayan diplomats in Caracas were told by Venezuela`s Foreign Ministry to leave within three days.
Venezuelan government officials did not respond to calls seeking comment about the matter. Casartelli said that he received a call Tuesday from the Foreign Ministry informing him of the decision and that he met yesterday with Venezuelan officials who confirmed that the four should go.
The expulsion of Paraguay`s diplomats follows a bitter dispute between the countries that began in June with the congressional impeachment and ouster of Paraguayan President Fernando Lugo, an ally of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.
In July, the two governments withdrew their ambassadors amid rising tensions over Lugo`s removal. Chavez later said he had ordered his country`s military attaches to leave Paraguay, citing threats against diplomats.
Casartelli said he was told by Venezuelan officials that when their government withdrew its diplomats, "they were waiting for Paraguay to do the same thing with us."
Since months passed and Paraguay didn`t follow suit, Venezuelan officials decided to expel the remaining diplomats, Casartelli said. He said in a phone interview that he and the other three diplomats had made plans to leave this week.
One Paraguayan Embassy employee who is not a diplomat will be allowed to remain to perform consular duties, Casartelli said.
In Paraguay, Foreign Minister Jose Felix Fernandez said in remarks broadcast by a local radio station that "Venezuela`s government has a peculiar way of facing its international relations, but I won`t judge it."
"Paraguay has another style for its diplomatic relations," Fernandez said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?