Political memoir on Deng Xiaoping to be published
Beijing: In a country where discussing the lives of leaders is a considered a taboo, Chinese for the first time will have an opportunity to read a political memoir of their late leader Deng Xiaoping, as his biography is expected to hit store shelves in the mainland China this year.
Written by former Harvard professor Ezra Vogelm, the book titled "Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China," is due to be released in China this year, state-run Xinhua news agency quoted the SDX Joint Publishing Company, publisher of the book`s mainland edition as saying.
Deng who took over the leadership of the ruling Communist Party after the founder Mao Zedong`s death has virtually over turned the hard-line Marxian ideology by introducing reforms and opening policies radically changing China`s economic development mainly with Foreign Direct Investment, (FDI) and overseas technology.
It is rare to see Chinese book publishers marketing the books authored by the foreign writers on China`s leaders and politics.
The SDX company recently announced that it has won the right to publish the mainland edition of the book, which is scheduled to debut on January 18, to mark the 21st anniversary of Deng`s 1992 south China tour.
The book, which took Vogel ten years to complete, portrays a transforming China from the perspective of Deng, focusing on the era after the inception of China`s lengthy reform and opening-up drive, Li said.
Vogel is a well-known expert on China, working as the director of the Harvard East Asian Research Centre from 1972 to 1977.
He has written a plethora of books on China, as well as other east Asian countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org