Prince Harry launches Invictus Games for soldiers
London: Prince Harry has launched a new Paralympic-style sports championship for injured soldiers titled the `Invictus Games` in Britain.
The competition will see men and women of the armed forces take part in sports such as wheelchair basketball, indoor rowing and sitting volleyball.
The fourth-in-line to the British throne has visualised the games, planned for September, as a recognition of the sacrifice made by those who fought for their country.
"I have witnessed first hand how the power of sport can positively impact the lives of wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women in their journey of recovery," Harry said.
"The Invictus Games will focus on what they can achieve post-injury and celebrate their fighting spirit through an inclusive sporting competition that recognises the sacrifice they have made," he added.
The former Army Air Corps helicopter pilot had taken over a desk job in the military earlier this year and has been working to bring the event to the UK after seeing something similar in the US called the Warrior Games.
Harry said he believed the competition would have a "long-lasting impact" on the well-being of those who have "served their nations so bravely".
The prince officially launched the Invictus Games at the former Olympic Park`s Cooper Box arena - where events such as handball, modern pentathlon and fencing took place during the 2012 Olympic Games - in Stratford, east London.
Organisers said more than 300 wounded, injured and sick servicemen and women, serving and veteran, from 13 nations would compete in eight adaptive sports in London from September 10-14.
The programme will include athletics, archery, wheelchair basketball, road cycling, indoor rowing, wheelchair rugby, swimming and sitting volleyball.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble